Matchbox puzzles

And now for something a little bit smaller:


These are two of the Matchbox puzzles from an unknown company (Could be called Matchbox Puzzles? Not sure...). Little tiny things, they can fit in your pocket. They come individually, and there were four or five different ones available for $3 each at my local toy store. There's the above two ("Mental Blocks" and "Triple X") as well as what appeared to be a ball-pyramid shapemaking puzzle and a tangram set.  The boxes are kind of fun, as well.

Aren't I a good hand model? They come packed flat so you're forced to assemble them, though they come with semi-clear instructions in case you get lost.

These puzzles are just miniature versions of well-known puzzles, so there's not a whole lot of newness there (though I've never played with the Triple X puzzle before, so that was a welcome addition). The wood is smoothed-out Maple (or Pine?) and they're well-finished - no rough edges like the Enigma that I posted about yesterday. That said, they're small and cheap, so the pieces don't fit together very well and you're likely to get a lot of variety in terms of fit. The "Mental Blocks" was terribly tight (the pieces are all off-kilter) and the "Triple X" is at first tight, then becomes loose once everything slides into place.

I'm kind of pleased that I found these. I think that they'll make for some good mini pictures (i.e. with figurines or in other miniature-friendly locations). I might also go and grab the tangram set as an 'emergency' puzzle to stick in a plastic baggie in my wallet...

Still have a backlog of puzzles and pictures, though, so I'll try to post regularly. No lack of material there. If my collection dries up, though, you readers might have to contribute in order to keep the blog running ;)

Comments